Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes simulation and data sciences as a key method for research and makes use of large, in many cases unique, scientific infrastructures.
JCNS operates neutron research instruments at the four leading international neutron sources. It is responsible for the development and operation of the eleven Jülich instruments at Heinz Maier-Leibnitz Zentrum (MLZ) in Garching near Munich, Institut Laue-Langevin (ILL) in Grenoble, France, and at the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS) in Oak Ridge, USA. These instruments are also available to external scientists. In addition, JCNS is developing several instruments together with international partners for the future European Spallation Source in Lund, Sweden.
in days, rounded, 2016
The Helmholtz Nanoelectronic Facility at Forschungszentrum Jülich is the Helmholtz Association’s central technology platform for nanostructures. It serves to investigate, manufacture, and characterize nanostructures for information technology. HNF, which was transformed into an independent organizational unit in early 2017, opens up free access for universities, research institutions, and industry to know-how and offers resources for the fabrication of structures, devices, and circuits as well as complex systems. The primary focus of its research is resource-conserving Green IT.
|Total usage time of all instruments in hours||41,129|
Forschungszentrum Jülich and RWTH Aachen University jointly operate ER-C as a centre for atomic-resolution microscopy and spectroscopy with electrons. It is simultaneously the first national user centre for ultrahigh-resolution electron microscopy. It was transformed into an independent organizational unit in early 2017. The joint undertaking on the Jülich campus, which is named after the inventor of the electron microscope, offers scientists a unique insight into the world of atoms and develops new methods for materials research. Around 50 % of the measurement time on the five Titan microscopes (CREWLEY, HOLO, PICO, STEM, and TEM) at ER-C is made available to universities, research institutions, and industry. This time is allocated by a panel of experts nominated by the German Research Foundation (DFG).
on the electron microscopy instruments of ER-C1) in days, 2016
according to region, percentage, 2016
The Jülich Supercomputing Centre provides scientists and engineers working at Forschungszentrum Jülich, universities, and research institutions in Germany and throughout Europe, as well as in the commercial sector, with access to computing capacity on supercomputers, enabling them to solve highly complex problems using simulations. The John von Neumann Institute for Computing is responsible for the scientific evaluation of projects.
Forschungszentrum Jülich operates JUQUEEN as part of the Supercomputing research programme of the Helmholtz Association. Approximately 70 % of the computer is part of the national Gauss Centre for Supercomputing (GCS), which means that this part of the computation time is allocated to national and European projects through a well-established peer-review process. The remaining 30 % of computing time is reserved for users at Forschungszentrum Jülich and the Jülich Aachen Research Alliance (JARA). Since the beginning of 2017, JSC together with five other Helmholtz centres has been developing a new infrastructure for the permanent, safe, and readily usable storage of research data within the scope of the Helmholtz Data Federation.
PHOTOS: Forschungszentrum Jülich, Forschungszentrum Jülich/Ralf-Uwe Limbach